Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Farewell, Pearl....



I just took snapshots of my Honda CRV from the 4th floor parking area. Quite a sad affair as I waxed nostalgia on the 13,476 kilometers that we have shared together. I ran my fingers across its lush leather interior, toyed with its knobs and dials, and caressed its smooth, flawless finish, hoping to retain that feeling in my memory for as long as I can before I finally let her go. It will only be a matter of days before someone will agree on the price I've set. Let's just hope she goes to someone who'll take good care of her.

This whole business of relocating to Singapore, you see, came up a year after I bought Pearl (yes, cars have to be named too). I've always thought that I would have a long lasting relationship with this one, versus the second-hand car I had before (a white 1996 Toyota Corolla GLi. Whitey is her name). The idea of getting a brand new car is to keep one from having to deal with frequent repairs and cumbersome maintenance expenses, and get to know all of the car's history first-hand for future reference. But, as with all things being unpredictable, fate dealt her cards differently. If anything, I'm sure it was all for a good reason. After all, Coelho mentioned that the universe has this uncanny way of conspiring with us when we want something so as we may achieve our wishes. True enough. And not a bad trade-off by the way.

But it's just not easy to deny the attachment a guy has on his car. Most especially if it's a sweet ride. Well, according to my standards. It's just the right size to drive around the city. It's decent enough to withstand floods in Manila, long drives out of town, and trunk space big enough to lug dive equipment and more. Of course, the acoustics are noteworthy as well. Nothing beats cruising through long wide open roads, clear skies, the thrill of a far far away destination, great company, and memory-provoking background music. These are the stuff that one live for.

I shall then keep the memory of Pearl alive through the photos I've taken of her, and the first music I played in her player: July for King's New Black Car. (There goes the drama. Can't help it. I know my car's white. The tune is just so catchy.)

25July07 Manila, Philippines

No comments: